Communication and Outreach Internship
The Chesapeake Biological Laboratory in Solomons, MD is an environmental research facility of the University of Maryland Center for Environmental Science. Founded in 1925, CBL has long been a national leader in fisheries science, environmental chemistry and toxicology, and ecosystem science and restoration ecology.
The Chesapeake Biological Laboratory (CBL) is seeking a motivated, enthusiastic individual to develop communications materials and assist with outreach efforts on and off our campus. Through written documents, exhibit materials, and campus tours, the successful intern will engage adult and youth audiences in learning about CBL’s mission and the local and global importance of our research.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Interviewing CBL faculty/students and writing a series of visually attractive, publications for print and web use describing selected research projects and explaining their importance to a public audience
- Assisting with Visitors Center operations and Campus Tour planning and delivery
- Developing and presenting “traveling exhibits” and display materials for use at community events
- Helping to create outreach materials, activities and exhibits in support of Visitors Center programs
- Pursuing undergraduate degree in journalism, communications, graphic design, museum studies, or a similar field
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Able to work independently and collaboratively
- Outgoing, creative, detail oriented, strong work ethic and self-motivated
- Interest in environmental and marine science
- Interest in museum studies and exhibit design
- Experience creating visually compelling, professional materials and displays
- Proficient with DSLR photography and Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Public speaking experience
The successful candidate will receive an hourly salary. Additionally, interns will gain valuable skills and experience in science communication, public speaking, basic principles of design, and community engagement. The intern will also have the opportunity to attend CBL seminars. On campus dormitory housing will be provided for a successful candidate if needed. Start and end dates are flexible, but the intern must be on site from mid-May to August.
To apply, please email a cover letter, writing/design sample, resume, and three references in one PDF file to email@example.com and reference “Outreach Intern” in the subject line. Resumes received by March 1, 2016 will receive full consideration.
UMCES is an AA/EOE/ADA employer; individuals with disabilities, Veterans, women, and minorities are encouraged to apply.